One of the most painful injuries a person can experience is an electrical shock. For some people in New Mexico, the shock is quick and they are able to detach themselves from the source. In more serious cases, people become hospitalized. Some do not live. Others face disabilities for the rest of their lives.

According to MayoClinic, here are some of the main side effects a person may suffer after electrocution:

  • Muscle contractions and pain
  • Difficulting breathing
  • Severe burns
  • Seizures
  • Cardiac arrest and arrhythmias
  • Confusion or loss of consciousness

If a person experiences any of these symptoms, they need medical assistance immediately. One of the most difficult things people suffer in these situations is a shared sense of helplessness. Most people who work with electricity know that they cannot touch the person while they are still connected to the power source as they may get electrocuted too. At most, someone might attempt to cut the power if the circuit does not trip on its own.

To make matters worse, a study published by the U.S. National Library of Medicine earlier this year shows that when people get extensive burns on the skin, the organs may get even more burned. These cases are most often high voltage deep burns at around 500 to 1,000 volts of electricity. The skin is simply not resistant to electricity and conducts it, which is why people who want to help someone getting electrocuted often find they cannot do anything.

The complications that people develop from burns caused by electricity are similar to those caused by fire. However, when the burns are internal, treatment options differ from thermal burns. Severe damage to internal organs requires long recovery times.