Since 2004, Bruce E. Thompson has been helping injured people and their families by holding wrongdoers accountable for violations of federal and state law and other safety standards. A partner of the firm since 2008, Bruce handles cases involving personal injury, wrongful death, medical malpractice, construction accidents, brain injury, trucking accidents and sexual abuse for those in Albuquerque and across New Mexico.
Bruce's entire practice is devoted to litigation, which includes civil appeals, civil rights, consumer rights and insurance bad faith cases. A member of the State Bar of New Mexico, the American Association of Justice and the New Mexico Trial Lawyers’ Association, he is admitted to practice in New Mexico and the U.S. District Court for the District of New Mexico. For his commitment to legal ethics and professional accomplishments, he is AV Preeminent peer-review rated,* Martindale-Hubbell's highest rating. He is a Fellow of the ABOTA National Trial College. He was awarded Best Lawyers 2020 Lawyer Of The Year in Plaintiff's Personal Injury.
After earning a Bachelor of Arts from St. John’s College in 1993, Bruce attended the University of New Mexico School of Law and obtained a J.D. in 2003. He was awarded the law school’s Dean’s Award and the Faculty Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Law School Community, and he is named as an advocate by the American Association of Justice National College of Advocacy.
Bruce regularly speaks on government liability, insurance law, civil procedure and personal injury litigation at New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association seminars.
With a passion for protecting children, he is volunteer counsel for New Mexico Kids Matter, Inc., a volunteer organization of court appointed special advocates for children in foster care. He also serves as counsel for Albuquerque SANE Collaborative, which offers sexual assault and domestic violence victims immediate, compassionate and comprehensive medical treatment and forensic evaluation by nurse experts.
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Bad Faith
- Consumer Rights
- Civil Rights
- Civil Appeals
- New Mexico, 2003
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico, 2003
- University of New Mexico School of Law, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- J.D. - 2003
- St. John’s College, Santa Fe
- B.A. - 1993
- Rivera v. American General Financial Services, Inc., 2011-NMSC-033, 150 N.M. 398, 259 P.3d 803
- Fraire v. Belen Consolidated Public Schools, 2016 N.M. App. Unpub. LEXIS 340
Honors and Awards
- AV® Preeminent ™ peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers - New Mexico
- Southwest Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2012 - 2013
- Southwest Super Lawyers, 2015 – present
- Fellow, ABOTA National Trial College
- Advocate, AAJ National College of Advocacy
- Julia Raymond McCulloch Memorial Award for Scholarship in Constitutional Law, 2003 - Present
- University of New Mexico Law School Dean’s Award, 2003 - Present
- Don G. McCormick Writing Prize, 2003 - Present
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Law School Community, 2003 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- State Bar of New Mexico
- American Association of Justice (AAJ), Member
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers’ Association (NMTLA), Board Member
Past Employment Positions
- New Mexico Supreme Court, Law Clerk
- New Mexico Trial Lawyers Journal, State Appeals Editor, State Appeals Editor , 2005 to 2012
Pro Bono Activities
- Counsel for New Mexico Kids Matter, Inc
- Counsel for Albuquerque SANE Collaborative